There are many delicious and healthy smoothie recipes that you can follow, and you are sure to find at least one recipe that you are guaranteed to enjoy. If you want to know how to make a smoothie healthy and tasty, you have come to the right place.
On this page, we have all kinds of information on low carb smoothie recipes, vegetable smoothie choices, tips for creating vegetable smoothie recipes for delicious green smoothies, and a healthy smoothie recipe or three that you can use to make the best smoothies.
If you are trying to lose weight, flush toxins out of your body, get in shape, fill your body with protein and fiber, improve your digestion, have better focus and concentration, feel much more energized, and be healthier in every way, these recipes are just what the doctor ordered…
How to Make a Smoothie Recipe for Weight Loss
Most people are familiar with the classic smoothies sold at Jamba Juice, or the chocolate banana milk or strawberry and ice cream smoothies. However, these smoothies are the ones that make you pack on the pounds, and these weight loss recipes are completely different.
If you are interested in losing weight, here are some things you need to know about how to make healthy smoothies for weight loss:
• Cut Out Dairy – Dairy products are usually quite high in fat, not to mention sugar. Even the low fat dairy will often have aspartame or other artificial sweeteners, and there is still some fat in them. If you want to lose weight with a Smoothie Diet, it is best to cut out fat and processed sugar as much as possible. Use juices or water in place of dairy products, and leave dairy for when your diet is completed.
• Avoid Sweeteners – There is a certain amount of sugar in most fruits, and this sugar will usually help to make your smoothies fairly sweet. However, not all green smoothies are made with the sweetest ingredients, and you may end up needing to add sugar. DON’T! Avoid any kind of sweetener that isn’t natural (fruits), as that will prevent you from losing as much weight as you could if you went for the natural sugars in fruits.
• Use Very Little Fat – There are certain things that you can add to the drink to make it tastier, such as avocado or coconut milk. Even though these fats are 100% natural, they are still fats, and thus you should avoid them. Unless you are going to be drinking only smoothies for the next few months, you have absolutely no need to add any kind of fat to your drink – your body has plenty stored up even if you aren’t overweight. Avoid even natural fats, or keep it to a very healthy minimum.
• Don’t Use Powders Unless Necessary – Many of the people trying to lose weight with an exercise program and smoothie diet will add some protein powder to the drink to make it more effective, but all it will do is add to the calories. Plants contain plenty of amino acids that will help you to build muscles, so avoid any kind of powders as much as possible. Use flax seeds or linseed powder if you have to, or add wheat germ or brewer’s yeast instead of protein powder.
• If It’s Not Raw, It’s Not Going In – Despite the fact that canned or frozen fruits and vegetables are easier to add, they contain very little of the nutrition that you want to get. If it isn’t fresh, don’t bother using it. Only the fresh vegetables and fruits contain all the nutrients, minerals, vitamins, enzymes, and acids that your body needs, so only use raw ingredients.
• Hesitate With Store Purchased Juices – No matter what the label says, it is highly unlikely that 100% juice is exactly the same as it would be if you made it with your juicer. One reason for this is that it has to be pasteurized in order to be sold in stores, and the pasteurization process removes some of the nutrients. Many of the 100% juices also have sugar added to them, so it is best to avoid using store-bought juice unless absolutely necessary.
Remember that green smoothies alone aren’t going to be enough to help you to lose weight, but you will have to do regular exercise as well if you really want to shed those pounds. While the green smoothies will contain lots of fiber and nutrients that will help you to lose weight, they will only be really effective if you get your heart pumping and your fat burning. The fiber will help to burn fat and get rid of all the junk in your body, but it has to be paired with exercise to really work.
How to Make a Smoothie Really Tasty – Ingredient Ideas for You
If you want to know how to make a smoothie really tasty while still being healthy, it can be hard to find good ingredients that pair well together. Some ingredients are just naturally awesome together, but vegetables like parsley or broccoli and fruits like banana or papaya will be a bit harder to pair up.
Here are some great ingredient ideas that you can use to help make some delicious, healthy smoothies that you are sure to enjoy:
• Lemon – Using lemon juice as the base of your smoothie can be a great way to bring out a naturally tart flavor, and adding parsley can help to enhance the flavor. On the flip side, adding a bit of avocado will help to make the lemon juice creamy and delicious.
• Orange – Orange goes well with just about everything, though adding celery, cactus, and other lighter greens is usually best with orange. You can also add strawberries, mangoes, pineapple, and papaya for an awesome drink.
• Apples – Apple juice is usually a fairly light and sweet juice that will be a great base for your smoothie, and adding spinach, broccoli, and other dark greens can be a great choice. You can also blend in some ginger for a zingy drink that will cure any cold.
• Mint – Adding mint in with most fruits will go amiss, but it is perfect with some lemon. Melon is another fruit that mixes well with mint.
• Bananas – While bananas are usually mixed with milk, you will find that it can make nearly any smoothie creamy. Just be wary not to add it to smoothies with a very strong fruit taste, but mix it in with vegetables and berries for the best taste.
• Tropical Fruits – Most tropical fruits will be fairly sweet and very acidic, so these are the best to add lots of green stuff to. You can also mix carrots in with pretty much any tropical fruit, and it is guaranteed to be a success.
These are only a few ideas for making healthy smoothie recipes, and the sky is the limit when it comes to your creativity and ingenuity in coming up with awesome recipes.
Low Carb Smoothie Recipes Contain More Fiber than Sugar
Remember that the best low carb smoothie recipes are the ones that contain lots of fiber and only a small amount of sugar. If you are trying to follow a low carb diet, it is always recommended that you make smoothies that contain lots more vegetables than fruits. Vegetables are very low in sugar – thus low in carbs – and they will help to balance out the natural acidity of your body.
It may be difficult to drink a lot more vegetable juice than fruit juice, as the vegetables have a fairly strong and bitter taste. Fruits will be much sweeter and more enjoyable, but they will be mostly sugar. Sugar is bad for your low carb diet, but it is an important part of making your smoothies tasty. As long as you can keep the balance between fruits and vegetables proper, you can enjoy fruits.
However, the fiber is the most important part of your low carb smoothie recipes. The fiber is what will help you to lose weight, flush all the toxins out of your body, and improve your digestive system. If you are trying to follow the Smoothie diet in order to get healthier, you will find that the fiber is what will help you reach that goal. Try to keep vegetables as the focus of your smoothies, and they will be much healthier for you.
Why Drink a Vegetable Smoothie Rather than a Fruit Smoothie?
Many people want to drink a fruit smoothie, as they are the ones that taste better. However, there are a few reasons that you should drink a vegetable smoothie instead of a fruit smoothie, no matter how hard it is for you to drink it down. Here are some of the reasons vegetable smoothies are better:
• Lower Calories – All vegetables (minus avocados) are lower in calories than the average fruit, so you can keep your calorie consumption low by drinking a vegetable smoothie.
• More Nutrients – Fruits contain lots of awesome nutrients, but vegetables contain a wider variety of nutrients that are essential for your health, many of which are not found in fruit.
• Lower Sodium – For those with heart problems, sodium is a serious threat. The fact that vegetables are lower in sodium than fruits means that green smoothies are always a more heart-smart choice.
• More Fiber – As mentioned above, fiber is the most important part of your smoothie diet, and vegetables contain lots more fiber than fruits do.
All of these are great reasons why you should drink more green vegetable smoothies than fruit smoothies, no matter how much tastier the fruit ones are. It may take a while to get used to, but it will be totally worth it for all the health benefits that you can get by drinking veggie smoothies.
Delicious Green Smoothies
Want some recipes for delicious green smoothies? Check out the recipes below for some great ideas:
The Crunchy Greens
Put a banana in the blender, add in a cup of juice (apple, orange, or pineapple), and throw in your favorite crunchy leafy greens like lettuce, spinach, kale, etc. Add water and blend with lots of ice.
Cut a melon into pieces and throw them in the blender. Add lots of fresh mint leaves, along with half a cup of apple juice, a few stalks of celery, and some fresh drinking water.
Cut cactus leaves into strips before peeling prickly pears and adding them to the blender. Throw in a few pieces of celery and parsley for good measure.
Healthy Smoothie Recipes: Top Healthy Smoothie Recipes for You
If you want health smoothie recipes, here are some of the healthiest:
Carrot Apple Zing
Run 3 large carrots through the juicer, along with 2 large apples. Put the juices in the blender along with 2 large carrots and a piece of ginger, add ice, and blend.
Banana Split Smoothie
Place a few almonds in the blender with 2 bananas, half a pineapple, and a handful of frozen strawberries.
Blend pineapple with coconut milk, mango, guavas, and a hint of nutmeg to make a deliciously refreshing drink (don’t forget to add the ice!)
Great Vegetable Smoothie Recipes
The green vegetable smoothie recipes may be hard for you to enjoy, but here are some of the best green smoothies for you:
Cut up some raw broccoli and run it through the juicer. Take the juice and pour it into the blender with some blueberries, a handful of strawberries, half a cup of orange juice, and a yellow bell pepper.
Carrot Avocado Goodness
Run carrots through the juicer, and pour it into the blender along with half a cup of orange juice. Add an avocado, a handful of fresh parsley, and some celery stalks.
Put half a tomato in the blender with one carrot, a cup of apple juice, and some celery. Add some hot sauce for added zing, and blend well.
These recipes can be lots of fun to work it, and you can try experimenting with all kinds of combinations of ingredients to make delicious, healthy smoothies.
Go to the top of this page,
Healthy Smoothie Recipes
For more ideas of how to make great weight loss smoothies, shakes and juices, visit the other pages on this site, Fruit Smoothie Recipes, Healthy Shakes, How to Make a Smoothie, Smoothie Diet, Weight Loss Smoothies and Weight Loss Shakes: Help to make or to find the best weight loss shakes for your goal.